Thursday, April 30, 2009

Swine Flu

Are any of you as worried about this swine flu thing as I am? At first I didn't really think it was that big of deal. I thought it was just the media blowing everything out of proportion like the usually do. I think it is really getting serious. I got an e-mail today, I tried to look it up on Snopes.com but I couldn't find anything. It is supposedly from a Dr. Marc Gitterle who is an ER doctor in Wimberley, TX.

In the e-mail were the following statements:

"During the night, we crossed the threshold for the definition of a WHO, Phase 6 global pandemic. This has not happened in any of our lifetimes so far. We are in uncharted territory."

" I expect President Obama will declare an emergency sometime in the next 72-96 hours. This may not happen, but if it doesn't, I will be surprised. When this happens, all public gathering will be cancelled for 10 days."

"I suggest all of us avoid public gatherings. Outdoor activities are not as likely to lead to infection. It is contained areas and close contact that are the biggest risk."

This is crazy! I have also read some articles that there is no relation or link to pigs. Where they got the name "swine flu" is beyond me. Supposedly WHO (does anyone know what this stands for?) has been asked to rename this virus as there has been no association between pigs and the virus found in humans.

You know it must be really serious when entire school districts are shutting down. They are even closing their doors during the TAKS test. You know it must be serious.

I am scared to go to the zoo on Saturday. Are any of you cancelling plans over this? Maybe I am just paranoid.

4 comments:

Kendall and Brooks said...

Well like I just said - I cancelled my flight, but I would probably go other places. They said to just try and stay away from situations where you are in close contact with another person for longer periods of time.

Drew and Kelsie said...

WHO stands for World Health Organization. I have 'heard' that as long as your aren't in close contact that you should be ok and outdoor activities are still ok.

Brad said...

I just found your site on google, and had to let you know that this Gitterle guys is full of it.

He and his partners sell the natural products mentioned in the email, it is nothing more than a cheap marketing ruse. His partner is Joe Vitale, the "Mr.Fire" of marketing. You can see their gimmick products at a variety of sites including :
http://www.mrfire.com/hypnotic-products/nutrition.html

Tell your friends not to waste their money on this walking infomercial.

Do a little google background on this guy and you will see he is a walking infomercial.

Kelli said...

Hey I just found your blog! Too cute! It's fun to come across other bloggers in your same area.

I've subscribed to your feed in my Google reader.. I would follow but blogger is being crazy and won't let me follow people. :(

Anyway, I look forward to reading more! Have a great weekend!!