Thursday, April 23, 2009

Fair well Kirby....



Fair well Kirby....we will miss you! Yes, Dustin and I were the owners of a Kirby vacuum for 3 days before my husband decided it was not the smartest purchase he has ever made. Let me start from the beginning......

This past Saturday I was out running errands and when I came home I found my husband and a Kirby vacuum salesman in my living room. My immediate thought, oh great my husband's newest endeavour. I think my husband must have SUCKER written across his face. He always seems to get himself in situations with salesmen, especially salesmen of products we don't need.

I got home at the end of the salesman's demonstration but I was pretty impressed by this vacuum. I could not believe the dirt that came out of our carpet and our mattress after only living in our house for 8 months. Our house is brand new. Obviously our old vacuum was not getting the job done. I vacuum at least once a week. As you all probably know, Kirby vacuums are expensive so expensive that you can finance them.

I will just say that even though I was really impressed by this vacuum I didn't want it. It was way too expensive. I could think of so many more important things I could spend our money on....shoes, clothes, make-up, getting my hair done....you know the important things. I could tell from the look on my husband's face that he really wanted this vacuum. I could see the wheels churning in his head. Being the loving wife that I am, I told my husband it was up to him while secretly praying he would say no. I think the salesman had cast a spell him. The salesman wasn't too pushy but he definitely was hovering. I couldn't really tell my husband what I was thinking because the salesman wouldn't go away.

So after we kept looking at each other and saying, what do you want to do, my husband caved and we ended up putting a down payment on the Kirby and financed the rest. I was not going to tell anyone about this. I was so embarrassed that we just financed a vacuum, regardless of how good of a vacuum it was. The salesman left, a very happy salesman I might add, and we were left with our new, expensive Kirby vacuum.

We cleaned the house from top to bottom that night with the new device. Dustin had a huge smile on his face. Well thank goodness God hears my prayers because Dustin called me yesterday and says, I don't think we should have bought this vacuum. Hallelujah! I almost lept out of my chair at work. On our Contract there was a 3 day cancellation policy. Dustin returned the Kirby yesterday and we are free from all our obligations under the Contract. Now, I have a huge smile on my face! Needless to say the salesman was not too happy with us when we called to return the vacuum. He became quite the opposite of the nice man that sold it to us.

I wasn't going to blog about this because I was really embarrassed over this whole ordeal. I know there are probably lots of people out there that have Kirby vacuums and I can bet that your houses are super clean but it was just way too much money for me to spend on a vacuum. I am so glad that I am not the owner of a Kirby vacuum anymore. Maybe one day down the road when Dustin and I are making millions....okay that is never going to happen...but seriously maybe one day when we are more established financially.

Fair well Kirby until next time.

5 comments:

Drew and Kelsie said...

LOL!!! How much to do thinks cost??? More than a Dyson???

Kendall and Brooks said...

haha, oh girl - that is so something I would do too :)

Kirbys are Amazing, but I agree with you!

Mrs. Ventrca said...

We have a kIrBy....from 1972! HAHA!!!

They came to our house too and they wanted to take ours in on trade...um, no thanks!!

I think that you made a wise decision!

Sherman Shinanigans said...

lololol

Jordan said...

Haha, this is too funny! The purple Dyson, the animal one, is awesome! It's expensive, but not as much as a Kirby, and totally worth it!