Friday, February 20, 2009

Childhood Memories


Whenever I think of my grandmother I think of my childhood. My grandmother came in from South Texas last night so I went over to my parent's house for dinner. She and my mom are going to Lubbock this weekend to visit my sister and attend a mother/daughter event for my sister's sorority.

My grandparents live at the very tip of South Texas about an hour from South Padre Island. I have so many childhood memories from spending every spring break and summer with them growing up. My grandparents have a ranch so I did everything from picking cotton with my grandpa on the combine to riding horses with my cousins. We would play for hours outside in the hot summer sun. Today you can't get me outside for more than 15 minutes in the hot summer sun (Ha!).

Every spring break we would attend the Rio Grande Valley Live Stock Show & Rodeo....can you say YeeHaw! We would spend all week there since my grandpa is on the board of directors and he put on the rodeo every year. Yes, I am from Texas! In the summer my sister Nadalee and my cousin Kacey and I would play in the barns, climb on the bails of hay and even swam in the silage.
If you are country folk you know what silage is but for those of you that don't it is a big pile of stuff that comes off the front loader of a tractor after it has been out in the pasture of cows. Need I say more? It had rained earlier that day and had created a huge mud tank or so we thought anyways. If we had only known what we were swimming in back then. When my mom and aunt found us they died laughing and we had to be hosed off before we were allowed back in the house.

We would go every summer to South Padre Island and spend the day at the beach. I have so many childhood memories from spending my summers in South Texas but I won't continue to bore you. I haven't had the opportunity to get down to South Texas as I have gotten older. This summer Dustin and I are going down there for a long weekend and we are going to go to the beach. I can't wait!

What are your favorite childhood memories?

P.S. I am so glad it is Friday! I am looking forward to a relaxing weekend. I don't have much planned which is great considering the next 5 weekends are going to be busy busy for me.

1 comment:

Kendall and Brooks said...

um WHERE did you get that adorable blog design!?!?!?!