Friday, August 7, 2009

Show Us Your Life: Wedding Reception & Honeymoon

Today is the last of the wedding series on Kelly's blog. Today is all about your wedding reception & honeymoon! The two most favorite parts of my wedding!
We got married in a very small town right outside my hometown. We got married at this really small church. It used to be the First Baptist Church of Justin but when they built their new church, an independent owner came in and turned it into a place for weddings. It is now called The Country Abbey. Dustin and I had a small wedding, no more than 150 people. This place was perfect.

The reception started off with introducing our wedding party. I think the song Let's Get It Started In Here was playing during the wedding party introductions.


Then we were introduced as Mr. and Mrs. Dustin Wynn and I think that Beyonce's Crazy In Love was playing. Isn't that sad that I can't even remember what music I picked out?


Instead of immediately going into the first dance, we opted to start the buffet line. We let everybody eat while we mingled and said our thank yous to everyone. For dinner we had heavy hor'derves. We had brisket and tenderloin sandwiches, chips and salsa, huge fruit and vegetable trays, tortilla roll-ups and I am sure I am missing a few things. Dustin and I didn't even get to eat at our reception and I don't remember the entire menu we picked out.

*Side note: I think it is crazy that I spent 9 months planning our wedding and I can barely remember it. The night went by so fast that I can't even remember the details.


After dinner we did the toast. Brent, the best man, gave his speech first. I remember it being pretty funny as Dustin and Brent have known each other since they were little.

Then my sister and maid of honor, Nadalee, gave her speech. It was more emotional than Brent's speech and we both cried.



After the toast Dustin and I cut the cake. My cake was 3 tier white chocolate and strawberry with cream cheese icing. The white chocolate layer was my favorite. It was so good. My caterer does not use fondant icing which was fine with me because I don't like it. I have seen amazing cakes using fondant icing but I knew that I didn't want it on my cake.


I had green ribbon around the bottom of each layer and green hydrangea. I love hydrangea. I bought the cake topper online and it is decorated with swarovski crystals. The cake was elevated on a glass stand with my bouquet, greenery and candles surrounding it. I thought my caterer did a fantastic job on my cake. It went so well with everything.

Dustin's cake was german chocolate with chocolate covered strawberries. German chocolate is his favorite kind of cake.

His cake was surrounded by fireman accessories. I had bought the boot, helmet and fire hydrant from Hobby Lobby prior to my wedding to decorate in our new house and we ended up using it as decoration at the wedding.

When it came time to cut the cake I had warned Dustin that he better not smear cake in my face. Not that I didn't want to have fun but I didn't want cake all over me and then have to clean up. He played nice even though he tried to make me think he was going to smear it on my face a couple times.

After we cut the cake it was finally time for our first dance. This was my absolute favorite part of the reception. Dustin's friend Josh from The Josh Weather's Band, played a song of his that he wrote. It is our favorite song of his and was kind of enough to sing it at our wedding. The song is called Right Here With Me. It was just him and his guitar and he did a fantastic job.

You can kind of see him singing in the background.

After our first dance I danced with my Dad. It was very special moment for me and I didn't shed too many tears. I thought I would loose it while dancing with him. He will always have a special place in my heart. We danced to Tim McGraw's My Little Girl.


Next we opened up the dance floor. The first song we played was Remember When by Alan Jackson and we asked all the couples to join us on the dance floor. The dance floor was packed. Then after that we got our groove on.

Towards the end of the reception it was time for the garter toss and bouquet toss. I was totally mortified when Dustin took my garter off. The picture below explains it all and the only person in my sight at that moment was my grandmother. Yikes!

Then the bouquet toss.

And the lucky winners were:

Jeremy, one of the groomsman who got married in March and my flower girl Rylee. I don't think she will be getting married anytime soon. Ha!

Sadly, it was time for us to leave the reception. I had a little surprise up my sleeve. With the help of the best man and one of the groomsman, they were able to arrange for the Justin Fire Department to take us away after the reception. I totally pulled it off and Dustin had no clue.




We got to the end of the block before the engine stopped and one of the guys jumped out and said "we gotta go we just got a call". We jumped off and they turned their lights and sirens on and they were gone. Luckily my sister was following in the get away car.

It was such a fun night. After we left the reception my sister took us to our hotel right by the airport. We had a 7:00 flight the next morning. Just an FYI, don't ever book your flight for the morning after your wedding. My advice is to either get a late afternoon flight or wait a day. We were so exhausted the next day.


We went to Las Vegas for our honeymoon. I had been twice before but Dustin had never been. It was fun to get to show him everything. We stayed at Treasure Island and we had a blast. This was the only picture we got of the two of us on our honeymoon. Of course it was taken at the Wynn Hotel!

7 comments:

Shannon Dew said...

LOVE your cake!!!!

Heather (Live.Love.Laugh.) said...

Great pics!! Looks like a great time!

The Fones Files said...

Awww...your pictures were really cute!

Carrie said...

What a wonderful day! Looks like fun and that cake looks delicious!

The Pink Chick said...

Absolutely beautiful! It looks like it was a perfect day!!!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great pictures...It has been a fun Saturday afternoon looking at so many fun pictures...

Just blog hopping

I have a GREAT giveaway going through Sunday night...$100 Surprise Gift....with a little Christmas to go along with it.

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

I love that ya'll left on the firetruck, if only you could have gone for a longer ride :)

*Found your blog through Kelly's Korner