Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mommy Confessions

All of us Moms have a secret or two. I was shocked when I heard some Mom's confessions on The Today Show.

**********
From article on today.com....... 

Every mom has a secret.


“I cry myself to sleep sometimes because I am overwhelmed and I don't feel like I can talk to anyone about it.”
“I honest to goodness do not like my son most of the time and knowing that KILLS me.”


“I believe ice cream for breakfast is not such a bad thing.”

TODAY.com and Parenting.com surveyed more than 26,000 moms about their secrets and confessions – and discovered plenty that doesn’t get discussed at play dates. Even in our post-Oprah, confessional culture, there are some things moms just don’t say out loud.

Sometimes the secrets are things we do:
•Nearly one in five moms admits medicating their child to get through a special event like a plane flight; one in 12 does it just to get some peace and quiet on a regular night.

•Half have knowingly sent a sick kid to daycare or school.

•85 percent use their kids to get out of social obligations.

•Nearly one in three uses work as an excuse to avoid taking care of the kids.

And sometimes the secrets are thoughts we don’t dare tell anyone else:
•44 percent of moms would rather be 15 pounds thinner than add 15 points to their child’s IQ.

•One in four fears their partner is a better parent than they are.

•One in ten wishes their child was the opposite sex – and of those moms, 60 percent have boys.

You can read the full article here.

Shocking right?

I can honestly say I have never wished that Grayson was a girl. Yes, there are times I wish I had a girl so I can dress her in all those cute little dresses and bows but I have NEVER wished Grayson was a girl. However, I may have used Grayson as an excuse a time or two to get out of something I didn't want to do. 

I will also admit I may have feared a time or two that Dustin was better with Grayson than I am. We have different relationships with Grayson though. Dustin and Grayson are boys and they play like boys. They rough house and roll around on the floor together. Obviously I don't do that with Grayson. I prefer playing with Grayson and his toys, reading to him and cuddling him. Grayson loves the rough housing so when Daddy is home he prefers to play with Daddy. I am okay with that now.

I have never used work as an excuse to not take care of Grayson. The one thing I struggle with on a daily basis is my guilt over working. I work because I have to not because I choose to. With that being said I enjoy my job though. I would love to stay at home with Grayson but it isn't financially possible for me to stay home. I have accepted this and I am okay with this. It doesn't mean I don't feel guilty though and it doesn't make me a bad mom. I have come to learn that it isn't the amount of time I spend with Grayson it is the amount of quality time I spend with Grayson. If I didn't work I would be stuck at home with Grayson all the time because we wouldn't be able to afford to do anything. We would be prisoners in our home and that would make for a miserable situation for all of us. I want to be able to take Grayson places, buy him things he wants, buy him a car one day and save for his college. We want more children and I want to be able to provide for them also. At the same time Dustin and I have needs too. We want things also. I am not saying I wouldn't sacrifice things to stay home with Grayson but you can only sacrifice so much as a person. Sacrificing everything I have and we have isn't worth it to me. I still don't think that makes me a bad mom.  

I will admit that I have left Grayson in a "too wet" diaper before bath time because I didn't want to waste a clean one. I mean if it is almost bath time why not?

I will admit to giving Grayson things he wants just to make him stop crying. For example, his bottle. I don't want to jinx myself but I think we are done with the bottle now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I will admit I have ignored Grayson crying in his crib a time or two just so I could take a quick shower. At least he is safe in his crib, right?

So there you have it. Some of my Mommy Confessions. Being a mom is the hardest job ever. It seems like there is so much pressure these days to do things a certain way. I think we as mom needs to stop judging each other and support each other. We are all different and we have to do what works for us and our child. 

So tell me, what are your Mommy confessions?   











1 comment:

Erin said...

Lindsey, I love the honesty of your blog! I saw that on the today show this morning too. So crazy, but I really agree that mothers need more help and support. You should check out the book I am reading right now. It is called "perfect madness - motherhood in the age of anxiety" It is really interesting, it talks about how the mothers role and expectations have changed over the decades and also how other cultures treat mothers.